Sunday 18 November 2012

Trailer Talk!

If you didn't already know next year there will be two films released that are adaptations of popular Young Adult novels. Those Films are the The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and The Host.
Now both films have recently had trailers released, and as a fan of both books I couldn't wait to see how they would translate on film, so to say I was pretty excited to watch the trailers would be an understatement.
So without further ado in case you haven't seen them yet, here are the trailers, I suggest watching them before you read my reviews on them (:





Okay so I'll start with the Mortal Instruments.

1)Initial Reaction: I screamed like a fan girl, I had been waiting for this trailer all week watching the countdown grow smaller on the Facebook page, needless to say I was happy.

2) How do I feel now: Personally I'm still not entirely sold on Jamie Campbell Bower playing Jace, it's stupid but Jace is pretty much described as being swoon worthy and he's just not swoon worthy however there were a few scenes, in the trailer that made me feel like despite the whole 'looks' thing that he was Jace. For instance the look he gives Clary after she screams in the club, the badass flip on to the table amongst others. Clary well I liked the casting of Lily Collins from the start so I have no problems here. Simon is cute. The effects though this is just a teaser trailer and they only just finished filming look amazing! I’m assuming the woman floating above the bed was Clary’s mother? I’m not sure. Why does Isabelle have flame thrower? Sure it looks badass but her weapon of choice is a gold whip. Why are Isabelle and Alec at the Hotel Dumort, I’m pretty sure that’s what that scene is, isn’t it just supposed to be Jace and Clary? Minor grievances that I’m sure will be cleared up with a full length trailer. I may just go and watch this trailer again… and again.

3)When is it released?: So this film is due for release in August next year, it's a long way off yet and a feel it will be a while before we get our next sneak peek most likely it will be at the MTV movie awards or something like that.

4) Would I see the film based on trailer alone?: Okay so forgetting that I loved the book, yes I probably would because it showed variety in the trailer it hinted at the relationship of Jace and Clary, it showed a Silent Brother, we saw Valentine and a lot of pretty scary Demons to, so yes I would see this film based on the trailer alone.

5)Overall Score: I give this trailer an 8/10 purely because I want to see more, I love what I saw but being an insane fan girl over this series I want a full length trailer as soon as possible.


Next on to the Host.

1) Initial Reaction: What the F is this? I didn't like it, not one bit; I was extremely disappointed, which upset me because I was really looking forward to it.

2) How do I feel now: I still don't like it, I've watched it a few more time after my initial viewing and it still bothers me? I don't like that they focused so much of the trailer on the relationship between Melanie and Jared. I mean the first bit of the trailer had Melanie saying this is the beginning of a Love Story. No it isn't! At least it shouldn't be. They are turning this book into another Twilight which it isn't! There is more to the book than the relationships, there has been an Alien invasion, and this is about how those who have avoided being 'possessed' by the aliens survive in an infested world. It's about Melanie and how she fights against the Alien that is placed in her body. To me, the relationship is pretty much secondary and I didn't like that it was the focal point of the trailer. Also I still don't the casting of Melanie, she's supposed be strong and tough she looks really weak and kind of girly I don't get it, the actress cast seems more suited to the person Wanda's soul gets moved into at the end of the film.

3)When is it released?: This film is due for release in March next year, which is why we now have a full length trailer for it, I doubt we are going to get another trailer perhaps a few clips of the film here and there as the release date draws close.

4)Would I see the film based on trailer alone?: No I wouldn't, if I was just an ordinary person, who had stumbled across the trailer, having never read the book, I would think it's a cheesy love story with aliens thrown in and I wouldn't waste money on a cinema ticket to see it. I was that disappointed by the trailer.

5)Overall Score: I give this trailer a grand total of 4/10, I like the seeker, I liked the chase scenes, I liked the shot at the end when Melanie walks up to the mirror as Jared asks if she is still in there, like it shows there are two people inside that body. I didn't like anything else about it. It was very disappointing.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, do you have anything to add, share your views here :D